packaging the file system for Solaris and rpm 4.4.9

Tim... and of course anyone else with some advice,

There's another question I wanted to ask your opinion on after seeing all the work you've done with rpm on Solaris. We're in the process of migrating from 4.1 to the latest stable, a long overdue project. Outside of actually building it (which seems to work fine except for the above issue) there's one big hurdle to get over. I found out with the first test install how strict rpm now is with its file list, deps, and provides. The basic file system, i.e. /usr, /var, and so forth, is now considered a dependency when installing. With earlier versions we've never had this issue and rpm would be happy to use the existing core file system as long as the directories already existed. Since the core file system is not owned by any package, rpm refuses to install anything installed in, for example, /usr/local, or plan /usr for that matter. I'm fine with this, but obviously we need a way of reliably convincing rpm that the necessary Solaris system is in fact there. One way we've found around this so far is to make a virtual file system package that does nothing more than Provides: /usr /usr/local, etc.

As long as all the core paths are provided and the package is the first installed, all seems to be well, but obviously this could potentially be a dangerous hack, not to mention constantly keeping it accurate and including the multitude of locale's and so on. Another possibility is actually hacking the Provides to include whatever is necessary, but I'd just assume make an rpm than do that.

Any advice on this? I'm figuring you must have run into something similar if you're bolting rpm on top of Solaris like we are. We'd love to hear your opinion.

Thanks again,
-Dave