Re: Building from Subversion instead of tarball

On Aug 10, 2007, at 10:34 PM, Stanley, Jon wrote:

Thanks Bob. I was going to send a similar mail to the list. The one thing that you didn't mention (but alluded to) that I will explicitly is that one of the paramount principles of packaging in RPM is that of reproducible builds - anyone that you give the SRPM to should be capable of producing an identical binary RPM. When you introdice dynamic sources such as svn, CVS, git, etc., that becomes impossible, and thus defeats the design principles of RPM.

Heh: ""dynamic". Install a compiler with bugs (or even differently evolved behavior),
and you will get dynamically "reproducible" builds every time.

In my experience checking out to a tag on a repository is far less
"dynamic" than setting up a build system.

YMMV, everyone's does.

73 de Jeff