refactored packages cause conflict/dependency issue

I previously had a package in which rolled up a number of shared
libraries. Now I've placed one of the shared libraries in its own
package. So now the shared library package no longer provides I'll
call it libx.so and the new package does. Other installed packages
depend on the libx.so shared library. When I try and update the shared
library package it fails because of the dependency of other packages
on the shared library that it previously provided. Also if I try and
install the new package it fails because of the conflict with the
shared library package over the providing of libx.so. What is the
correct way to handle such a situation? I'd prefer not to resort to
--force or --replacefiles.