Re: Questions on RPM

Rayapudi Sandeep-mgb376 wrote:
> - I want to update enviornment variables when I install an RPM. When I
> include some 'exports' in spec file, they are local to that shell. Is
> there any way I can export variables globally?

Since your follow-on question was about chaining installation of rpm
files I will say "No" here.  The next rpm installation won't be able
to get environment variables from the previous rpm installation.

As others noted you can force changes to users that log in later by
setting up /etc/profile.d/SCRIPT.sh but personally I always hate
those.  For one you then require users to log out and back in again to
get those settings.  IMNHO it is much better is to configure your
installed application to work without those.  For example if an
application needs an environment variable then simply set it in the
application.  For example a script wrapper /usr/bin/foo could set
FOO=${FOO-bar} and call foo.real with that setting.

> - And will I be able to undo these exports when I do uninstall?

No, if you actually set it in their environment.  A user would need to
log out in order for the environment setting to go away.  (Yet another
reason the wrapper method is advantageous.)

> - Can we chain installation of RPMs. Suppose, my application needs
> installation of JDK rpm along with actual RPM. Where can I include
> commands to install JDK?

Specify it as a Requires: and use software such as apt4rpm or yum that
handles dependencies.

> - Does RPM work on all shells (bash, korn, etc,.)?

Yes.  The rpm command is an external program and is not shell
dependent.

Bob