Re: Questions on RPM

On 5/30/07, Rayapudi Sandeep-mgb376 <rsandeep@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

Hello Rayapudi

I am a newbie using RPM. Can anyone answer following quiries

I'm a newbie too ;)

- I want to update enviornment variables when I install an RPM. When I
include some 'exports' in spec file, they are local to that shell. Is there
any way I can export variables globally?

I think you can do a

echo 'MYGLOBALVAR="somevalue"' >> /etc/bashrc

in the % section to export your variable for bash users.

- And will I be able to undo these exports when I do uninstall?

Perhaps a

sed -i.orig -e '/MYGLOBALVAR/d' /etc/bashrc

in the %preun section could solve the problem.

- Can we chain installation of RPMs. Suppose, my application needs
installation of JDK rpm along with actual RPM. Where can I include commands
to install JDK?

You can include the JDK package into Requires:

BuildRequire: java-jdk

Depending your box, this name can be changed.

- Does RPM work on all shells (bash, korn, etc,.)?

Well, I've never tested this situation. You can test and send us the result ;)

Thnx,
Sandeep

I really don't know if I made mistakes or if there is other way to do
that. Please, send us other suggestions.

Thanks.