Re: RPM error : Can't create transaction lock on /

I removed the db files and checked if some other rpm/yum processes are running on the system. There are no other processes active that may potentially cause a problem. I have deleted the __db* files under /var/lib/rpm directory and tried running again. Yet no luck.

The rpm version i'm using is 4.4.2.

# rpm --version
RPM version 4.4.2
#

Could this be a problem with the rpm version itself ? Would you suggest upgrading/downgrading to a different version ?

Bala

On 5/30/07, Tony Earnshaw <tonni@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Paul Nasrat skrev, on 29-05-2007 16:10:

>>> I'm trying to install mysql devel rpm on RHEL 5 and I'm stuck at this
>>> error and cant proceed further.
>>>
>>> "error: can't create transaction lock on /"
>> You may have a trailing lock - ls /var/lib/rpm
>>
>> Check for other rpm/yum processes running.  If none then:
>>
>> rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*
>
> Also, just to add for RHEL your first stop really should be support.

Simply to collate: I have no problems with this on CentOS 5
(mysql-devel-5.0.22-2.1 ) or Fedora FC6 (mysql-devel-5.0.27-1.fc6) - both
are the versions yum has updated to. Just as well, since there's no
official support on either :)

--Tonni

--
Tony Earnshaw