How to take user input while in preinstall directive while installing RPM

Hi,

I am novice in RPM . I am writing a spec file in which before installation in the %pre section I want to call a script this script should take user input like some configuration parameters to install the software.

While executing the script it is showing the echo statements but not able to read the user input.

for example

%define timeout

%pre
echo " Please give the timeout parameter"
read timeout

%install

Now when I am trying to build and run the rpm. It is not waiting and reading the user input for the timeout. Is I am doing it correctly? Your help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards
Manish