Re: Rpm-list Digest, Vol 39, Issue 1

On May 1, 2007, at 1:30 PM, Wyse, Chris wrote:

Hi Russel,

Thanks for the response (and everyone else who responded). Binary RPMS
are a problem for me since I'm distributing a driver.  I would have to
support tons of configurations, for each kernel/distribution pair.  I
think binary RPMS probably make sense for applications that aren't
tightly coupled with the kernel version.  I assume for drivers that a
tarball and an SRPM is the way to go.

By the way - I haven't used alien, but I assumed that it would work on
SRPMS.  If that's not true, then the tarball is really the only
distribution method for drivers?

Distributing kernel drivers is hard no matter what format is used.

Just FYI, because there's more than format choice associated with distributing
drivers:

Dell has had a means to build "other" drivers against installed kernel
sources that has been used successfully for years.

Recen distros like RHEL5 (there's a SuSE equiv too) are doing a pretty
good job of defining a kernel ABI, so it is starting to become feasible
to determine unambiguously when a driver needs to be rebuilt, and
when the previous version is "gud enuf".

hth

73 de Jeff