Re: Trouble with RPM and %{_sysconfdir}.

Paul Johnson wrote, on 06. apr 2007 16:30:

People write spec files using macros, and then the macros on my system
do not generate packages that put files in the correct place.  I
noticed this while packaging ggobi and WindowMaker, and probably in
other packages as well.  WHen people have a statement in the files
section like

%config %{_sysconfdir}/%{name}

the config files end up in the wrong place, in /usr/etc/WindowMaker or
/usr/etc/ggobi.  The authors of those programs claim that the correct
place ought to be

/etc/WindowMaker  or  /etc/ggobi

and inside their programs, there scripts that have hard coded paths
that look for files in those places.

Until now, I've just had the habit of editing the spec file to cut out
the usage of %{_sysconfdir}, replacing it with /etc.

%{_sysconfdir} as such is defined in your *own* macro hierarchy (i.e. that of your system, then that of the rpm builder). The only way for the author to override this, is to redefine it in his spec file.

But it causes me
to wonder why I'm the only one apparently having this problem, and why
aren't all the RPMS built for Fedora & Fedora extras messed up like
mine, because I've not changed any settings in the rpmbuild macros.

Well, I'm a 100% Unix SysV (derived from my original initiation on AT&T's Sys4) and Linux FHS person, Red Hat and Fedora. Just upgraded (and I do mean "upgraded") my home rig from RHAS4 (up2date paid subscription) to FC6 (free as in beer). With the standard install DVD and goodness knows how many Internet yum updates afterward. I insist on each and every piece of software installed on the systems I administer being an rpm. If there isn't one, I write my own spec and build myself.

I've had absolutely no problems with any RHAS4 or Fedora FC6 rpms up to now - and my home system is (as well as a complete mail server with an OpenLDAP 2.3.34 backend and Sam's IMAP, nearly 99.5% effective anti-virus and anti-spam stuff, an ftp and http server) a complicated streaming audio and video client. Many of the (s)rpms installed were supplied by non-Red Hat people. Where people don't offer rpms or srpms, I write my own specs.

I've often wished the RPM system did not allow macros because it is
hard to rebuild packages that some people make because they have
changed their macro definitions.  (Try taking a SRPM file from the
atrpms repository, or something from Mandrake, and you'll see what I
mean.

Red Hat / Fedora people shouldn't depend on Mandriva (not Mandrake any longer) rpms or srpms. Apart from anything else, they mostly have differing dependencies. If Mandriva wants to define its own macros, people (i.a. me) can import its macros into their own /etc/rpm macro db, which I've done for my OpenLDAP stuff. Just so happens that the Mandriva OL packager is also a Red Hat packager.

Now SuSE, that's a different matter - least said, soonest mended (I was going to ..., but I won't).

Unbuildable unless you make a lot of changes in your rpm
system.)  I can see why those problems exist, but I can't understand
this _sysconfidir

%{_sysconfdir} not what's in the above line.

thing ending up in /usr/etc on my system but in /etc
on others.

--Tonni

Never has done in the past or does in the present for me on my systems. I make several of my

--
Tony Earnshaw
Email: tonni at hetnet dot nl