Re: using rpmmacros to automatically update release

Jeff Johnson a écrit :

is there a way to define a macro saying something like
Release: %{release}.repo

That should work exactly as is.

Humm, I think I'm doing something wrong.
I've put the above line in my ~/.rpmmacro file and... nothing.
release remains what is defined in the spec file.

what I want is simply rpmbuild --rebuild foo-1.0-1.src.rpm and obtain foo-1.0-1.repo.arch.rpm and rpm -qp foo-1.0-1.repo.arch.rpm respond foo-1.0-1.repo.rpm

i don't want to edit all spec files by hand and maintain a fork for each package.

alternatively, if there is no solution with an rpm macro, I will have to script it. is there a way to know the name of the spec file from a srp.rpm source package ?

Generating a spec file is likely less hassle than using a macro imho.

generating a new spec file for each package I have to recompile and *maintaining* it requires too much work from me... I just want to use the src rpms as the integrators give them to me and have a "rpm building chain" that automatically add what I need in the release field.

This is likely easiest way to extract the name of the spec file:

    $ rpm -qlp rpm-4.4.9-0.1.src.rpm | grep 'spec$'
    rpm.spec

not if there is a file in the SOURCES that's named something.spec (by example, the rpm package could include an example.spec file in its source package that would be added in a doc directory as an example)

Note that "foo.spec" is just a convention even if widely used.

The spec file is always in the same location iirc, so this is likely to work:

    $ rpm -qlp rpm-4.4.9-0.1.src.rpm | tail -1
    rpm.spec

humm, interresting.
are we sure that the spec file is always on last position ?

There's also a file flag that marks a spec file in a src rpm iirc.

Humm, very interesting.
I'll look a bit further in that direction.

thanks a lot, jeff

73 de Jeff

51