Re: Red Hat EL, wont boot when connected to network

Dear David,

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 David Poole wrote :
>We have a new Dell server which came pre installed with Red Hat
>Enterprise Linux Version 4 server on it.
>However when it is connected to our network it freezes when booting up.
>If I  enter interactive startup and stop the network service from
>running the server boots fine.
>Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?
>
>The last message that shows up is "enabling swap space" and it
>eventually says it is killing the services and its out of memory.
>
>I made it so the network card doesn't start at boot, so I have to enable
>it after logging into the server. It connects to the network fine after
>that, but it just doesn't boot when connected to the network.
>
>We havn't changed anything on the server as its brand new, just had to
>set up a few settings like the time, root password, etc.
>
>Thanks in advance for any ideas
>
>David Poole

>Axminster Power Tool Centre Ltd
>Registered in England No. 3326979 (A member of the Styles & Brown Ltd
>group of companies)

are you sure, that it hangs up when started and connected to the LAN????, In my experience there could be either of ther or both...

1) The fstab entry has misleading entry for swap space or swap FS is corrupted, in this case correct the entry in "/etc/fstab" while if swap space is corrupted delete and rebuild it.

2) Your system is configured to get IP and a few other details from the  DHCP through LAN, do it manually and give it fixed IP and other details etc.

hope that this could be of some help.

regards,

Bimal Pandit