Re: [rpm-list] problems compiling rpm on solaris

In regard to: Re: [rpm-list] problems compiling rpm on solaris, Edward...:

'./'`aesopt.s
cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -I./.. -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -Xa -xstrconst -xs -mt -KPIC -mt -Wa,--noexecstack -c aesopt.s -KPIC -DPIC -o .libs/aesopt.o
/opt/SUNWspro/prod/bin/fbe: error: unknown option '-'
/opt/SUNWspro/prod/bin/fbe: error: no input filename given

That's because beecrypt's configure didn't correctly detect that
--noexecstack and/or -Wa,--noexecstack are not valid options for
the Solaris assembler.

I reported that issue in the beecrypt tracker, see:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1486951&group_id=8924&atid=208924

(My sourceforge login is "enchanter").  To fix, just remove

	-Wa,--noexecstack

from all the Makefiles that it occurs in.

Thanks for this Tim. I wouldn't have got that in a million years! In the end I also had to download beecrypt from cvs, as the 4.1.2 stable release had a problem with linking even after I removed the noexecstack (from the configure script).

Following that I had to recompile libxml2 with Workshop C, and then recompiled rpm again. That got rid of all the libgcc dependencies. But to keep everything in one place, I copied the beecrypt and libxml shared object libraries into /opt/rpm/lib, set the runpath LDFLAGS=-R/opt/rpm/lib and recompiled rpm one last time, then made a solaris package of it. Talk about doing things the hard way!

After installing the package on another box, I discovered a missing libC dependency. It turned out that the workshop studio 11 install had patched the libC, so I needed a minimum of
SUNWlibC 108434-18
on the other box. Fortunately that was quite an easy patch to put on and didn't require a reboot.
The rpm was fine after that.

I just want to say a big thanks to you and Jeff for all the help you've given me this week. I really really appreciate it.

Cheers,

Ed.