Re: SUG: Automatic RPM database verification and repair

At 3:05 PM -0500 11/30/06, Jeff Johnson wrote:
>On Nov 30, 2006, at 2:43 PM, Michael Jennings wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, 26 November 2006, at 22:48:28 (-0500),
>> Tony Nelson wrote:
>>
>>> /No one/ saves a copy of Packages, as such an implementation detail
>>> is RPM's responsibility, and it does not do it.
>>
>> You are on crack.  Backups are the user's responsibility, not the
>> software's.  Filesystems don't back up your data for you.  Databases
>> don't back up your tables for you.  Editors don't back up your files
>> for you (at least not the new versions).  SCM systems don't back up
>> your repositories for you.
>>
>> If you want backups, YOU have to make them.  Stop trying to blame
>> everybody else and take responsibility for your own (in)actions!
>>

>Peace, please ;-)
>
>Automatic db_verify trigged by explicit DB_RUNRECOVERY from explicit
>dbenv->failchk
>environment verification implemented this weekend.

I don't quite follow you, does that mean RPM will try to recover when it
notices database corruption?  Or just do a verify?

BTW, my personal database that started me on this seemed fine in use, but
it fell over when the correct item was accessed.  Updating to FC6 did that,
as did querying the item specifically, and the database failed --verify,
but most other operations worked, including updates.  If it matters.

>That makes this entire thread history afaict.

Uhh, OK?