RE: RPM warning: package X = v1 was already added, replacing with v2...

> The rationale for limiting transactions to one name, and
> replacing the older with the newer, is that many users do
>      rpm -Uvh *.rpm
> without checking.
>
> I have debugged too many NPTL and kernel install problems
> from users installing both i386 (-NPTL) and i686 (+NPTL)
> glibc from the same directory, hence the policy of limiting
> to only the "newest" of identically named packages in the
> same transaction.

Jeff,

I understand this (...but it's equally a pain to see your kernel
packages throwed out when needing to install multiple versions of it,
which is one of the motivations behind my request.)

What about adding a corresponding optional switch/flag at the
transaction API level, and keeping by default the current behaviour?

Existing tools wouldn't change in behaviour, and it would allow for
those of us using the API to explicitly disable the above-mentioned
limitation.

German