Re: RPM warning: package X = v1 was already added, replacing with v2...

On Nov 16, 2006, at 3:54 AM, German Cancio Melia wrote:

... but sometimes I want to install both v1 and v2, in the same
transaction. I know it works by installing v1 and then v2 in different
transactions. Is there any way of telling rpmlib (I'm using the python
bindings) to not try to skip v1?

Nope, no way atm.

Well there was a bug iin rpm < 4.4.2 that missed one of the "newer" checks, so that one could choose an order that permitted multiple identically named packages in
the same transaction.

The rationale for limiting transactions to one name, and replacing the older
with the newer, is that many users do
    rpm -Uvh *.rpm
without checking.

I have debugged too many NPTL and kernel install problems from users installing both i386 (-NPTL) and i686 (+NPTL) glibc from the same directory, hence the policy of limiting to only the "newest" of identically named packages in the same transaction.

73 de Jeff