Re: How to add an entry in the rpm database (without a package onhand)

On 11/15/06, Andrew Ross <grof@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply Jeff.

I was wondering if it were possible to add an entry without an rpm, or
creating an rpm at all. I guess not.

The issue is that the RPM database is literally an indexed collection
of rpm headers.  Basically the same header that is in the package.
So in order to add an "entry" as you call it you must have a header.
There are portions of the API that one could use to generate a header
and add the said header the DB, but I have no idea what the minimum
information is that would be required to create this header, and
suspect you would have a bear of a time getting this working.

Cheers...james