Re: %ifos

On 11/14/06, Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In the prep, build, install sections of the spec file "%ifos
Linux" works fine.  But, "%ifos solaris2.8" doesn't work at
all.  If I use "%ifos solaris2.8" in the definitions section,
i.e. outside prep etc, I can confirm that the os is indeed known
to rpm as solaris2.8 by defining something else, e.g. "%define
myaction echo os is solaris2.8".

Why would %ifos work for Linux but not other solaris2.8?  How
could I get it to work for solaris2.8?

If I can't get this to work, then it's gonna be a bit
inconvenient to edit all my spec files that have an %ifos in
them, rather than just doing a --rebuild.

This pertains to rpm 4.4.6.

For non-linux, you're gonna be way happier choosing your
own os designator imho.

That can be done by changing "OS" below
   echo "sparc-sun-OS" > /etc/rpm/platform

Sure it makes sense to choose something conventional and
unsurprising, like whatever config.guess returns.

If you really must add compatibility rules to rpmrc, that isn't impossibly
hard. Be forewarned that rpm-4.4.7 does not read rpmrc by default,
and all of the compatibility rules are in the process ofbe ing removed
in favor of the simpler to understand and maintain

   rpmbuild ... --target=CPU-VENDOR-OS ...

I.e. CPU and VENDOR and OS are whatever you want them to be, no
fuss, no muss.

Othere you're stuck with a rather twitchy and stinky os string remapping
that attempts to remap whatever is returned by uname(2) into Something
Else Instead.

Hint: you can guess from "solaris2.8" the last time the code was changed.

73 de Jeff