Re: [rpm-list] db version mismatch with a twist

On Nov 14, 2006, at 5:47 PM, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:

A while ago I posted about building rpm 4.4.6 on both Solaris 2.8 and
on RHEL 3, then trying to use the same rpm database for both.  After
a bit of work to get all of the rpm and db stuff to link staticly for
both systems the result is the same.  Jeff Johnson suggested that
there might be a db issue with big endian and little endian involved.
At that point I gave up and decided to split my database into one for
Solaris and one for Linux.

Um, no.

I have personally read big-endian databases on little-endian i386 and vice versa.

I know of no issues wrto endianness and an entire rpmdb.

What I said is that mixing endianness in the same database has not been tested.

FYI, Berkeley DB supports mixed endian-ness, or at least appears to (I have not checked whether the attribute is per insert or per-database, likely per-database).

The only hard part about attempting to support mixed endian records in rpm is deciding which endianness to choose when installing, say, a noarch package, or, say, installing an other-endian package for execution with a wrong-endian
emulator.

hth

73 de Jeff