db version mismatch with a twist

Over the years, or so I find with lots of web searching, a number of
people have reported troubles like the following:

rpmdb: Program version 4.4 doesn't match environment version 67108864.67108864
error: db4 error(-30971) from dbenv->open: DB_VERSION_MISMATCH: Database environment version mismatch
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 -  (-30971)
error: cannot open Packages database in /login/kevinc/lib/rpm-linux
package rpm is not installed

The usual solution is to remove the __db.00[0-9] files and --rebuilddb
That *would* work for me were it not for the fact that I'm running two
architectures of rpm (of the same version, 4.4.6) one on Solaris 5.8,
and the other on Red Hat Enterprise 3.0.  Both architectures share one
common rpm database.  I'm just a user on these systems, so everything
of RPM lives somewhere in my $HOME.  I just think RPM is great at
managing my packages, so I build it first when I move (or get moved)
to a new Unix-like system.

I've built/installed the following for both systems so that rpm might
build the same way on both systems

    beecrypt-3.1.0
    db1-1.85
    db4-4.1.25
    libxml2-2.6.21
    ncurses-5.4
    neon-0.24.7
    readline-5.0
    zlib-1.1.3

It seems that rpm must be linking against the wrong version of db
somewhere.  From /usr/include/db.h on the Solaris machine it appears
that db 2.7.5 is installed in the system tree.  From /usr/include/db.h
on the Red Hat machine it appears that 4.1.25 is installed in that
system tree.

I've got the built build trees intact on both systems, so I should be
able to answer questions, if I haven't provided enough info.

I'm really stuck.  Would anyone have any advice, a lead, or something
I can try to track down?

Thanks much....

--
Kevin