Trying to add GPG signatures to RPMs

Hi,

I am trying to add GPG signatures to RPMs to no avail anyone see where I
am goofing this up?
- I have create a GPG private and public key using:  gpg --gen-key
- I have set up the /etc/rpm/macros file to this:
%_transaction_color   3
%_signature gpg
%_gpg_path /export/homes/jkerick/.gnupg
%_gpg_name "Jim Kerick <jim_kerick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>"

- Generate a public key using: gpg --export --armor > public.key.txt
- Imported the public key into the rpm db: rpm --import public.key.txt
- Checked that the key was there: rpm -qa gpg-pubkey*
- Looked at the key to make sure it was good: rpm -qi
gpg-pubkey-XXXXX-XXXXXX
- Tried to add the signature and got the following output:
rpm --addsign SYMCtest-1.2.1.0-0.x86_64.rpm
Enter pass phrase:
Pass phrase check failed

- Next added --sign to the rpmbuild command in the Makefile.  Here is
the command from the Makefile
package:
	@echo -e "\nCreating SYMCtest Package.....\n";
	@rpmbuild --define "_topdir redhat" --sign -bb SYMCtest.spec;

-This is what I get when running the build
$ make

Creating SYMCtest Package.....

Enter pass phrase:
Pass phrase check failed
make: *** [package] Error 1

Things I have checked:
- The pass phrase I used for both matches the one I typed in to generate
the gpg key pair.  (my first guess)
- Checked the rpmrc files (/usr/lib/rpm/rpmrc and
/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/rpmrc) for any entries dealing with gpg.  Neither
have been edited since they were installed.  There are not rpmrc files
in /etc or ~/.rmprc
- checked /usr/lib/prm/marcos and /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/macros for gpg
entries.  Do not have a ~/.rpmmacros

The docs on www.rpm.org are incorrect as I found out from here:
http://dan.drydog.com/rpm-signing-howto.html  I have been using this and
the man pages.  Is there a good how to guide?

Thanks,

Jim Kerick
Principal Software Engineer
SIGSEC Team