Re: Replacing Vendor rpms.

Steven Hajducko wrote:
> The original question still stands ( with more information from Frank )
> - How do I overwrite the so's for a library that other RPM's are
> dependant upon?

I think your best course of action would be to leave the old rpm
installed and allow it to provide the old functionality.  If you want
to install a new library providing a new ABI then provide it as an
additional rpm that can be installed along side the old one.  A common
technique is to add the version to the name so that "--upgrade" will
not remove the old named rpm.  Call yours openssl098c for example.
Yes this is a hack but that is basically what you are asking for.
Don't overlap with any files from the previous rpm package and yours
will be completely independent of it.

Personally I would avoid trying to provide critical libraries such as
openssl and similar.  They high visibility interfaces which often need
security upgrades.  By using a vendor supplied library you benefit
from sharing the work among a team of people.  If you do it yourself
then you have keep track of issues yourself and jump to it when
problems are disclosed or your server may become vulnerable to a
crack.

Bob