Replacing Vendor rpms.

Title: Replacing Vendor rpms.

Hi,

In an effort to clean up some of our software installs and upgrade applications in the same stroke, I'm trying to compile and build some RPMs for various applications.

At this point, I've gotten the build process down where I can actually compile/install my RPM, however, I want to get rid of the vendor's RPM in the process.

So, for example, we are installing our own compiled openssl-0.9.8c to replace the RedHat openssl-0.9.7a rpm on some our systems.  However, quite a few of RedHat's other RPM's require 'libcrypto.so.4' and 'libssl.so.4', which are just links to the actual shared ssl libs ( libcrypto.so.0.9.7 and libssl.so.0.9.8 ).

In my %install section, I create the links necessary and I have them specified in my %files section.  If I do a 'rpm -qpl' on my RPM file, I see the libcrypto.so.4 and libssl.so.4 files listed, however, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to be able to get my package to actually 'upgrade' the current package on the system.  I could just --force, but I want to try and keep this as clean as possible.

Any help or guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.

--
sh