Re: split database

On Aug 29, 2006, at 1:59 PM, Steve Friedman wrote:

I've tried searching the archives, to no avail, as I suspect that the answer is no.

I have a device where a small fraction of the software is internal to the device and the majority of the software resides on removable media (a compact flash card).

Is it possible to configure rpm (and/or use multiple dbpath arguments), so that each media would contain a database only of the packages installed on that media and rpm would read both databases before returning an answer (and, more difficultly, determining which database to write on an update)?

Its certainly possible to use multiple databases and you're not the first
to request the functionality.

The issue is deciding which of several databases becomes the rpmdb
used for installing. A loop over multiple RDONLY databases with
the current rpmdb iterator is rather easy.

FWIW, the first step towards permitting multiple databases within rpm
was adding the rpmdb-redhat package to display suggestions and
automagically populate a transaction with additional packages
when using --aid.

All this work was shelved when Fedora Core decided not to distribute
a rpmdb-fedora package because its kinda hard to read a database
that isn't there (my devel system has been Fedora Core).

As it stands now, we are looking at gyrations with multiple invocations.

If the number of packages on the smaller media-set is like 10-20, you might
be able to do queries with a wrapper, invoking rpm twice, each with a
different --dbpath. Presumably that's what you are already doing.

Another method would be to re-import the packages from one media-set
into the other using --justdb.

73 de Jeff