split database

I've tried searching the archives, to no avail, as I suspect that the answer is no.

I have a device where a small fraction of the software is internal to the device and the majority of the software resides on removable media (a compact flash card).

Is it possible to configure rpm (and/or use multiple dbpath arguments), so that each media would contain a database only of the packages installed on that media and rpm would read both databases before returning an answer (and, more difficultly, determining which database to write on an update)?

As it stands now, we are looking at gyrations with multiple invocations.

Steve Friedman