Re: Specifying dependency install order

Hi John, Jeff, and Tim,

The problem is that the packages come from HP, and if I modify them then I
don't have support from them. How would they know if I modified them? Hmm.
They are indeed binary packages and they get updated two or three times a
year, so I'd be stuck with constantly modifying their packages for them. I
opened a service call to let them know that they are giving their customers
broken packages, and when you have 130 RHEL boxes to take care of, you
can't spend the time to install this stuff by hand.

The Manifests idea sounds the most plausible in my scenario (isn't this a
common problem with packages by server vendors? IBM's TSM packages are no
better. All of these companies give you RPMs, each of which come with a
nice README that has a list of a dozen or so OS dependencies as well as
dependencies to their own packages, with the expectation that you install
those all by hand first). I can make this relatively transparant for our
admins in that I can make a meta-package that loads the manifest (into
/usr/local/somewhere) and then starts further installs as part of the %post
(mind you that ofcourse doesn't work with RHEL 2.1, which locks the RPMdb
such that you can only have one RPM command running at a time) (thankfully
(?) HP doesn't support RHEL 2.1 with their lovely (?) admin tools at all)
such that nobody knows about it. This way the are not quite so bitter. ;)

The RPM mailing list once again provides the info you find nowhere else. =)

Many thanks!!!

-Christian

             John Pye
             <john.pye@student
             .unsw.edu.au>                                              To
             Sent by:                  RPM Package Manager
             rpm-list-bounces@         <rpm-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
             redhat.com                                                 cc

                                                                   Subject
             23.08.2006 01:36          Re: Specifying dependency install
                                       order

             Please respond to
                RPM Package
                  Manager
             <rpm-list@redhat.
                   com>

I'm assuming it's a binary package and you can't get the sources, right?
So maybe you can use the 'relocate' function to install it somewhere (or
maybe there's a better way of pulling out the files?), then repackage
all those files in new RPM with a new spec file (with a trivial build
section). You would need to extract the %post (etc) scripts as well.

Or is your rock-sucking mandate a result of not wanting to modify the
original package in any way?

JP