Re: Best way to deliver a dump of files

Zac Elston wrote:
I've got several rpms that just deliver some files that don't need any
building or preping.  I was wondering, does it matter if the rpm contains a
tarball of the files that explodes into the correct locations or do I have
to use something like "install -D file $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/location/file"   for
each?
For RPM to allow post-install verification, the files need to be unpacked from the tarball when the package is created, not when it's installed. (I don't think RPM will compute MD5 sums for any files created in %pre or %post.) If you don't care about running "rpm -V", then you could in fact list the tarball as your only package file, and then unpack using a %post script.

In your case, all that need be done is creation of an %install script (no need for either %prep or %build) that unpacks the tarball into $RPM_BUILD_ROOT (not tested, but should work):

 %install
 tar xzCf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/mydir $RPM_SOURCE_DIR/mytarball.tgz

The contents of $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/mydir need to be listed in %files as well.

Hope this helps,

--
Dario Alcocer <alcocer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>