Re: install rpm within an rpm...continued

On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 09:44:29AM -0400, Todd Tomaino wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to install an rpm from within another rpm.

Why would you want to do that?

<snip>

> When I add the rpm install in %post and attempt to install I get the
> following error:
>
> warning: waiting for transaction lock
> error: can't create transaction lock
>
> One way to avoid this is by executing "rm /var/lock/rpm/transaction" in
> %post prior to installing the rpm.  However, removing the transaction
> lock was not discussed in the thread I mentioned, and seems like a bad
> practise.
>
> Is this an acceptable method?

Of course not. Not if you want to have any guarantees about the
consistency and correctness of the rpm database.

> Is there a better way to solve this problem?
Don't do it? But, if you must, spawn a child that waits for that file to
no longer exist and then installs the other rpms.

--
lfr
0/0