Re: problems with using RPM to install files in /etc/cron.d/

On May 17, 2006 1:13:35 PM +1200 Trevor Hills <Trevor.Hills@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The solution we have used for this is to 'touch' any new added files and the /etc/cron.d
directory in the RPM's post-install script. This does not seem like a good solution too us. Is
this common practice?

I'd say so.  All you have to touch is /var/spool/cron.

A second problem we have had is with cron "silently" not working. For various reason an entry
might not run, incorrect syntax in the file, wrong file permissions or the like. We have found
that if one file has an issue it can stop all the entries been run. We are unsure of a good way
to monitor if cron is working as expected (beyond tailing the /var/logs/cron and watching
intently). Is there a good way to get cron to verify all the files in /etc/cron.d/? What about
getting a listing of all the current scheduled jobs? Other things we can do to improve the
visibility of what crond is doing?

That seems outside the scope of rpm-list.

-frank