Re: What is up with BuildRoot ?

Thank you Tim,

I guess that's why RPM prepends the BuildRoot to the %file section automatically. Totally make sense

Cheers
Anh.

> Ok, that works fine. But if i bring the binary RPM package to install
> somewhere else, the software is still installed in /usr/bin or other
> root-access directory. So with the binary RPM, does it ALWAYS get
> installed in the system directory, no matter how it was built ????

It always gets installed based on the paths you specify in the %files
section. If you specify /usr/bin/foo, that's where the "foo" file or
directory will be installed when you use "rpm -ivh" or whatever to
actually install that packages on the target system(s).

If your %files section uses /usr/local/bin/foo or /opt/MySoft/bin/foo,
then that's where "foo" would get installed.