Re: Rpm upgrade query

On Apr 20, 2006, at 10:58 AM, shiva varma wrote:

Hi.
  My requirement is, I would like to upgrade only file
A and want to retain file B. Is it possible?

It's not possible to upgrade, but it is possible to install
a new version of A from another pkg that will overwrite
the previous version of A, causing it to go into the state
"replaced".

That being said, the far far better and maintainable solution
is to create 2 new packages, one that contains file A, the
other that contains file B, and then release the pair of
packages to upgrade the previous package that contained both A and B.

The reason is that rpm manages packages, not files, and you will
be headed for a nightmarish set of command line overrides and
confusing behavior if you try to replace only part of another
package without clearly splitting the original package into 2 new packages
first.

73 de Jeff

Regards
Shiva
--- Jos Vos <jos@xxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 03:36:34PM +0100, shiva