Re: Files present in RPM package

On 4/3/06, Panu Matilainen <pmatilai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Apr 2006, Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
> >
> > Merhaba,
> >
> > On Mon, 3 Apr 2006, shiva varma wrote:
> >
> >> Is there a way to find the files that would be
> >> installed by a rpm package (before installing the rpm
> >> package)
> >
> > rpm -qlp package_name
>
> That, and you'll also need to check any scripts and triggers the package
> has. Especially 3rd party commercial packages tend to do the real
> installation in rpm post scripts scribbling all sorts of junk over the
> place, typical example would be something like
>
> $ rpm -qpl <vendor-rpm>
> /tmp/vendor.tar.gz
>
> ..and if you check with rpm -qp --scripts <vendor-rpm> you'll find a very,
> uh, creative ways to extract the contained tarball into /opt in a good
> case or all around the system disk in a more typical case.

Oh, that is so ichy.  Unfortunately, I know its so very true.  My
favorite was a package that though it delivered files in the
traditional way, the files actually overlayed various mysql files.
Appearantly, these people that built this package did not know how to
take an existing SRPM and add patches.  So you had to install the
stupid thing with -i --force.  I of course got them to change that,
because I didn't even want to think about rollbacks with on purpose
file conflicts.

cheers...james