Re: Building from tar ball without a version string?

> From: Panu Matilainen <pmatilai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>> Any ideas on how to tell rpmbuild to NOT demand a $version?
>
> In %prep section of the spec:
>
> %setup -n %{name}
>
> ..instead of plain %setup which actually is equal to %setup -n
> %{name}-%{version}.
>
> - Panu -

Brilliant!!!!  It works with just one snag which is not related to the
answer so maybe this needs a new subject.

After downloading the tarball  I attempt a build.

#rpmbuild -vv -tb demo.tar.gz
error: Name field must be present in package: (main package)
error: Version field must be present in package: (main package)
error: Release field must be present in package: (main package)
error: Summary field must be present in package: (main package)
error: Group field must be present in package: (main package)
error: License field must be present in package: (main package)

Huh?

So I inspect the tar, unpack it and repack it and it works.

I've got another query into the viewVC list asking if there is anyhting
funky there...

I see rpmbuild uses the OS tar so it's not different versions...

When rpmbuild attempt to read the demo.spec from the original tar ball, what
is it using to accomplish that?

-zac