Re: How to interactively obtain user input in %post

On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 06:12 +0000, shiva varma wrote:
> Hi.
>   In my post install section %post i have provided a
> shell script that should interactively accept username
> as input. However the stdin seems to be closed during
> rpm install time and I am not able to accept input
> from user. Do I have to patch rpm to leave stdin open.
> If so how can i do it.

Don't do that.  rpm installs/upgrades are intended to be
non-interactive.

For example if you put your (interactive post) package into a group
installed when you build a machine, and someone uses the GUI installer
to install, how do you expect them to be able to do the interactive
part.  What about automatic upgrades via yum or similar?

Instead do something like the firstboot script or check whether
appropriate information has been entered when first firing up the
program and get the user to add it then.

	Nigel.
--
[ Nigel Metheringham           Nigel.Metheringham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ]