Re: [OT?] Installing all RPMs via Kickstart

On 2/13/06, seth vidal <skvidal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 07:44 -0800, Joe Van Dyk wrote:

> > > +1 to not ever wanting to do that.
> > >
> > > However you could probably try some crack like:
> > >
> > > yum install \*
> > >
> > > in %post
> >
> > yum doesn't seem to be available in RHEL 3.
> it _can_ be - but you can do the same thing with up2date, too.
>

> > Why is installing all the available packages such a bad idea?  It
> > takes maybe 15 minutes for the machine to load them all up.
>
> b/c you should never install something you don't need. It's a point of
> good systems administration and generally a much safer habit.

Ok.   I'd like to create a list of packages that are in the core
groups that we will install (the base system, X, Gnome, KDE, deve
tools, scientific tools, and maybe others).  And then I'd like to
create a list of packages that aren't in any of those categories so
our team can go through and see what additional software has to be
installed.

Any ideas on how to easily do that?  How can I get a list of all the
different groups that are on my system?

Joe