Re: RPM transactions

On 2/13/06, Joe Van Dyk <joevandyk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 1/20/06, Ritesh Raj Sarraf <rrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just wanted to understand how RPM figures out the success or failure
> > of its transactions.
> >
> > Say you have package "a" which depends on package "b".
> >
> > Say in package b's pre-installation script you define a command which
> > won't succeed. So overall your pre-installation script of package "b"
> > will fail during installation. Which means package "b" won't install.
> >
> > Now, when you do `rpm -Uvh a.rpm b.rpm`, a will install because its
> > dependency is satisfied but b won't because its pre-installation script's
> > exit status would be false.
> >
> > Does RPM plan to take care of this issue ? If not, is it because it is
> > fundamentally not doable ?
> >
> > IMO, this is an important feature to tackle.
> > Say you have apache. Your pre-installation script would create user
> > apache/httpd/www. If that fails, by standards it should abort.
> > What do you guys say ?
>
> If a %pre script fails, the package still gets installed?
>
> Joe
No, it doesn't.   It will also try to snip any corresponding erasure
(I'm not sure if it will snip obsoletes though...I think in 4.4.1 and
beyond it does).   As always by default it will continue with the rest
of the transaction, unless you have the autorollback feature turned on
(which is a standard feature in 4.4.1 and later; and also as stable as
its ever been...thanks Jeff).

Cheers...james