Re: rpm query output format question ...

On Feb 2, 2006, at 3:57 PM, Dhananjay Bhandari wrote:

Hi,
  I am trying to use rpm package on different locales.
I have noticed that rpm uses UTF-8 format to output query result, but how can I be sure that irrespective of locale or default charset encoding set, rpm will
always output query results in UTF-8 form.
I have to process the data output by rpm, hence if I mess up in understanding
the encoding format rpm has used, then data gets garbled.

rpm data is not guaranteed to be encoded in any format.

rpm-4.4.4 has an implementation that imposes utf-8 encoding for changelogs.

If that conversion to utf-8 is successful, then utf-8 encoding will be imposed on all string data
within rpm headers.

But deploying a version of rpm that imposes utf-8 encoding is almost certainly going to take years and years.

73 de Jeff