Question on default umask

I'm attempting to package the behemoth known as the Oracle client (9.2)
:-)

On top of having to specify Provides in the spec file because Oracle
supplies binaries that cannot be executed (!), I have another more
pressing problem - the umask.  The umask on my target systems is set to
027, which means that since I don't specify modes in %defattr, that
seems to be what RPM is using for installs of the package (which means
it's not altogether useful :-) ). The question is how to set a default
umask for what gets installed.  Obviously some files are not executable
that are in the Oracle client, so I can't just say 0755.

Am I missing something here?