Re: AutoReqProv or AutoReq/AutoProv?

In regard to: AutoReqProv or AutoReq/AutoProv?, Dor-Shifer Amit said (at...:

Hi.
My issue is this: an rpm is created in a dev. environment, where all of
its dependencies are fulfilled, yet is installed in such environments
where those deps are only partially fulfilled. In order to alleviate the
dep clash during installation, the maintainer builds the rpm with
"AutoReqProv=no". Yet this causes the RPM not to auto-generate any
"Provides" clauses. Packages depending on this rpm fail installing
because of this.

It is possible with modern/recent RPM to turn off dependency detection
by changing the appropriate macros.  I've never tried to do this, but
my assumption is that you first turn off the internal dependency
generator, and then redefine the external dependency generator to
something that doesn't output any dependencies (something like "exit 0").

Still, I'm not sure I understand the issue.  If you generate an RPM
that says it has no dependencies (but it really does) and you install
it on some system that may or may not have those dependencies installed,
are you expecting that it will work?

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx