Re: Building RPMs for different distributions

On 1/11/06, Joe Van Dyk <joevandyk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm building RPMs that need to run on RH8, RH9, and RHEL3 (and others
> in the future).
>
> I'd like to embed the name of the distribution in the RPM name (i.e.
> package_name-1.0-rh9.rpm).  Are there any built-in RPM methods for
> doing something like that?

None built in Joe.  Rembember this though; you can take the extrnal
external output of a command run on the build system as the definition
of a macro (similar to backticks but uses the %() syntax).   So you
could do something like:

   %define distro %(getDistroCmd)
   Name: package_name
   Version: 1.0
   Release: %{distro}-1

The reason this might be usefull is then your external command (which
can be one of your sources) can express much more complicated logic to
figure out what distro its on without being tied to the abilities of
rpm macro's.

Cheers...james