Re: RPM that installs a slightly modified Redhat kernel

On 1/3/06, Joe Van Dyk <joevandyk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're running Redhat Enterprise 3 here, updates between 1 and 5.  I
> need to modify the kernel (a two line patch that modifies some
> capabilities).
>
> What's the best way to do this?  It needs to work on any RHEL 3 system
> (up to Update 5).  Do I need to build a kernel (and kernel modules)
> RPM for each update?

Start with the kernel srpm.  Do a:

   rpmbuild -bp kernel-*.src.rpm

Replacing * with the approriate version and release.   Then go into
the directory where the kernel was extracted and generate your patch.
 Now change the spec file to apply your patch and your done concerning
the kernel (of course you will need to integrate this into your build
system du jour).

If you have custom modules you will need to rebuild them against this
kernel's sources.   If you have questions concerning this, ask and I
or someone can help.
Just so you know since its not likely that any symbol changes are
occuring, the only thing that is forcing the rebuild of the modules is
the fact that kernel symbol versioning is on, which will cause all
symbols in the kernel to have some magic number attached to them such
that your module does call printf but really printf_###### or
something like that.  This changes each time the kernel is rebuilt (I
am painting with a broad brush I know).

Cheers...james