Re: rpmbuild with make functionality

On Tuesday 27 December 2005 14:54, Jos Vos wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 27, 2005 at 02:33:27PM +0100, Andreas Roth wrote:
> > is there an easy way to create a rpmbuild with make functionality? The
> > rpmbuild tools creates packages unconditionally. I want a tool, which
> > only creates new packages either if the target package does not exist or
> > one of the target packages is out-to-date.
>
> What do you mean with "create a rpmbuild"?
Sorry, i meant create packages with rpmbuild.

> What is your definition of "a target package is out-to-date"?  Do you
> want to compare rpm package dates with tarball dates?
Compare the timestamp of the target rpm packages with the timestamps of a all
source files (sources+patches).

> As far as I can interpret what you're asking, I think you just have
> to create a Makefile that calls "rpmbuild" for generating packages.
I considered creating a makefile, but the makefile is gettings to large,
because i try to build a whole distribution. Using rpm to extract the source
and patch files for each package and compares the timestamps takes much time
if you have more than 1000 packages.
I would like to have a special version of make, which can extract the source
and patches files and compare the timestamps without starting an extra
process.

A. Roth