Re: patching binaries at install time without breaking rpm -V?

Michael Jennings wrote:

On Wednesday, 21 December 2005, at 12:02:18 (-0800),
dkegel wrote:

The idiom
dn0=`dirname $0`
SOURCEDIR=`cd $dn0; pwd`
seems to reliably do it for shell scripts.

First off, we're talking about binaries, not shell scripts.  That
means C.

Second, if you read what I wrote, you should observe that getting the
directory name from argv[0] (for which the shell equivalent is
`dirname $0`) is not an option.  But thanks for playing.  :-)
One reason why parsing argv[0] is not sufficient is that it doesn't work for shared objects loaded up via dlopen. Are there others? I'm actually quite successful with doing the argv[0] trick for most normal executables, and even perl can work that way as long as you don't try to embed it.

Solaris, of all systems, has the right construct: you can compile in "ORIGIN" into the library search path.
--
cg - resigned to installtime binary hacking of embedded paths -sigh-