Re: a few questions on RPM

On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 13:17 +0530, Lakshmi V wrote:
> Hi
> I am a newbie to RPM , so pardon me for any silly questions
>
> a. Is it possible to have something like the installation based on
> Install Type (like Typical, Complete, Custom as in Windows) in RPM, if
> yes how?

No. You can break a package into several sub-packages though.

> b. If I want to execute some prerequisites before even starting the
> installation, I can put them under %pre header. Can I use the same to
> execute any Libraries (.so or any script for that matter), which will
> be part of the %files section, and conditionally proceed with the
> installation?

No. Why would you need to do that though?
You can execute stuff that the rpm packages in %post.

> c. Is it possible to copy some files based on some conditions ? i.e
> inside %files section is it possible to say that <based on this
> condition> copy this file

In the %post section you could potentially do that - though I suspect in
most cases it would be wrong.

> d. I have a product which depends on various sub components (or
> sub-products). These sub-products have files on their own and their
> own installation scripts and checks. The selection of these
> sub-products and their files, depends on the install type selected by
> the user. This is how it is in Windows, if I want to simulate
> something in RPM which would do the same, should I make use of
> subpackages and make each sub-product a subpackage ?

Make use of subpackages - you can script up an easy installer using
something like dialog or zenity that lets the user select which
components they want, and installs them accordingly.