Re: How to get spec file from rpm

> Hi All,
>
> May be this is not a valid question to ask after all being done in RPM,but
> I am curious to know that is there any way by which we can directly extract
> the spec file from binary rpm file . I know this can be achieved once we
> install the rpm t.i.e; o get the scripts we can issue rpm -q myfile
> --scripts command but wanted to know the first way to get the complete spec
> file from RPM.
You can't get the spec file from an rpm, you can only aquire the
output of that spec file which is the binary rpm(s) consisting of a
header, payload and signatures, the header containing among other
things the scriptlets.  The payload is of course the actual files to
be delivered to the system.

OTH, one could generate  a reasonable spec file from the packages
header, but will not be exactly the same in most cases.  For instance,
specfiles support conditionals such as:

    %ifarch x86_64
     Provides: 64_bit_functionality
     %endif

You could never derive that from the single binary rpm for a
particular architecture, and in general any sort of conditional logic
will just go away.  Another example when someone calls an external
program that generates content in the specfile:

   %{expand: %(groovySpecFileHelper)}

No way at all even if you had the complete universe of rpms that this
specfile could generate, could you ever figure that out.

What you can do is, again, generate a reasonable aproximation that
would generate the particular package you have, or you can go get the
SRPM and pull the spec file from there.

Cheers...james