RE: Creating a user and group within a rpm

>On a RHES 3 system I am trying to build a rpm which not only
>installs a given application, but also sets a user and group.
>When I build the rpm (with rpmbuild -ba) the user and group
>are created, but when I install the binary to test wether the
>build was succesful, the user and group aren't created (note:
>the test is run on a different, but identical server with a
>RHES 3 minimal installation). The installation is done by
>issuing rpm -ivh  (even when I include the --force option, it
>isn't working).
>
>I have tried to place the commands in different sections
>(%prep , %build, %install), have issued the commands also in a
>script, but the user and group are not created.

Sounds like you're confusing when things run. Those sections
are executed at build time, on the build host, not at install
time. To create at install time, you want them in the scripts,
most likely in the %pre script.  Might want to add some
protection too (e.g. check that the user/group don't already
exist)