Creating a user and group within a rpm

On a RHES 3 system I am trying to build a rpm which not only installs a given application, but also sets a user and group.
When I build the rpm (with rpmbuild -ba) the user and group are created, but when I install the binary to test wether the build was succesful, the user and group aren't created (note: the test is run on a different, but identical server with a RHES 3 minimal installation). The installation is done by issuing rpm -ivh  (even when I include the --force option, it isn't working).

I have tried to place the commands in different sections (%prep , %build, %install), have issued the commands also in a script, but the user and group are not created.

These 2 commands are the ones I am talking about:
/usr/sbin/groupadd -g 650 bmi;
/usr/sbin/useradd -c "Dummy user for brightmail" -d /usr/local/brightmail -m -g bmi -u 650 mailwall;

As you see, no big deal. When I run the script outside the rpmbuild phase, the users are created, so the script is functioning.

Has it something to do with a lock on the password and group file?

The rpm version I am using is 4.2.3 .

Disclaimer:
This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property of Sogeti Nederland B.V. or its Group members. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message.