Re: Having one source RPM install another source RPM?

On 11/15/05, David D. Hagood <david.hagood@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am trying to get the Cypress CY16 devel tools packaged as an RPM.
> These are a branch of GCC/GDB/binutils that Cypress has added support
> for one of their chips to, and this is Cypress's main devel toolchain
> for the part. Unfortunately, Cypress only ships Windows binaries (built
> with Cygwin), not Linux binaries.
>
> I *want* to package these as an RPM so that we can properly install
> them, but there is a problem - in order to build their wonderful GUI for
> things you have to have the full sources for Tk installed - as in, the
> tk-devel package (at least under SuSE) does not supply the needed headers.
>
> So, is there a good way I can, within the spec file for the Cypress
> stuff I am creating, tell the system to go get the source RPM for Tk,
> install it, and do an "rpmbuild -bp " on it *without* having to package
> the actual Tk package within the RPM I am building?
In %prep, %build and %install you can do anything you could normally
do inside a bash script, and for that matter you can call external
programs that do much more.
If I was going to try to do this I would probably use wget to pull
down the Tk source rpm and then invoke rpmbuild, build and install it.
 I would probably do this in the %prep script after unpacking my own
sources.  That of course is if I was going to try to solve the problem
exactly as you suggested.

> Failing that, is it possible to create a "buildrequires" on the Tk
> Source RPM?

Buildrequires: Tk

Cheers...james