Re: how can I merge and deprecate packages

On 11/1/05, Rob Riggs <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> asked:

> Hi Fulko,
>
> The rule requiring a reboot after each package install/remove sounds
> absurd.

The simple answer is...

This system is an embedded system, with no CLI access.
All upgrades are done via an SNMP transaction that defines the
file to 'install', followed by a 'doit' command.

Since one of the packages might be the kernel, As part of the 'install'
the system must successfully be running the new kernel.  Well this
is Linux so the only way to run the new kernel is to reboot.
(Don't even suggest virtualization.  :-)  )

Therefore since the system doesn't know what packages require a
reboot, the SNMP based installer reboots after any and every package.

PS. The SNMP based system also does not currently support a 'list of'
packages to be installed at a single time.

> Perhaps you can enlighten us as to why that rule and the "no
> rpm -e" restriction exist.

Because 'installation is a captured process', not a CLI, there is no
access to the rpm command directly.  I just looked at the code that
was written, and the person does an 'rpm -e' on the old version of
the package before an 'rpm -i' is done on the new version of the package.

We also perform the same sequence of erase/install when an 'old' package
needs to be installed.  ie.  Fallback to the previous version
Actually, in all cases, if the system doesn't come back after the
reboot mentioned above there is a mechanism to revert the 'cluster'
back to the previous, working version.

Perhaps I should re-visit how that part actually works.
If thats truly the case, then an 'rpm -u' doesn't actually buy me anything
as long as the "%obsoletes" clause removes the 'other' packages.

> Why are you even using RPM?  With these restrictions it's bloody useless.

Even with restrictions (pre-defined sequences), RPM is still very useful
because its an enabling technology that:

 - is already written
 - has a standard package format
 - maintains its own database
 - supports versioning