How to create the ICON on the Desktop in Linux

Hi All,

This group has been really helped a lot while developing rpm's without any prior knowledge.I am not sure whethere this is the correct group to ask this question but would like to post it.I would like place an ICON in the desktop itself instead of in the startMenu for both KDE and GNOME.It would be really helpful for me if some one can answer this question.

Thanks in advance...
Shekhar.