why include external libraries?

Hi,

This question may have been asked already (if so, I couldn't find
anything in the past 4 months archives) but I am wondering why the rpm
source tree includes zlib, sqlite and popt (db3, I understand is
required since that is the internal format of the internal rpm
database).

I ask this principally as one the Debian maintainers for rpm -- where
this causes us both building and security issues.

Cheers,
Anand

--
 `When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to
  its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are